Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What a start to the 2012-13 school year!

Little heads up, this may be a long one!  So much has happened in the past week and yet so much to come.  I'm opening with a prayer I received on my daily devotional of "griefshare" that I get via text.

Lord of heaven, calm my heart and help me to remember right now the precious memories I can learn from, grow from, and treasure in my heart daily. Amen.

We'll start with Addie going to college.  She worked hard to get everything she needed ahead of time and was organized and ready when we all got there Saturday morning.  Anna helped her plan earlier in the summer, helped her pick out her colors and guide her on what she needed.  Bon Bon shopped with her during the past week to make sure she had exactly what she needed...not to mention getting her a gorgeous coral lamp for her room.  Bon Bon, Addie and I had a great day of lunch and shopping for things like pillows, under the bed storage and a mattress pad.  Doesn't sound like fun stuff but definitely necessities!  Jacob took her to Carrabas to eat and to explain that she HAS to go to dinner once a month with him while at college :)  Ashley, Jonathan and Emirie came over Thursday to help pack her clothes (I think that's where all the organization started.)  The Ingrams had us over for steaks on Friday for Addie's last "official" night at home.  Saturday morning the crew (Bon Bon, Jacob, Anna, Keith, KK, Sally, Jonathan and Ashley) met to load up Addie for this exciting time in her life...

 Her friend, Kennedy, met us there and helped ALL day long.  She was there long after I left to head back to Rock Hill.  Addie's just like you, she chooses GOOD friends!

The room is beautiful-just like Addie :)


Monday was Anna's first day as a 3rd grade teacher at Springdale, amazing isn't it?!  Seems like just yesterday that she was a 3rd grader herself sitting in that same classroom.  Like the prayer says, treasure the memories in my heart, and I truly do.  I'm thankful to have so many wonderful memories, because you knew how important family was and what it means to be there for each other.  Anna and Addie get it too!!

This is Anna's room, she has an ocean theme going and it looks great.  So many people have helped her that I can't possibly mention them all here but we are all so thankful to everyone.  She has 26 children in her class, a daunting task for anyone but she will love them all and teach them that they matter and to believe in themselves.  She is so much like you too!  Both girls are such a good mix of you and Jacob.  I can't wait to share more pictures of her school year, I know there will be many special memories.  Kellie used your wooden apple for the nameplate outside of Anna's classroom and cleverly changed the "Mrs. Wilkerson" to "Miss Wilkerson" just one of many sweet experiences at Springdale.


This week has been emotional for so many reasons but one I didn't think about was starting back to school.  We would always talk about what we were doing new this year, ideas we were thinking about, how exciting it was to start a new year...it was a very difficult start for me.  My students start tomorrow and I'm ready for them.  I love a new school year and the enthusiasm children bring is so refreshing.  I cherish my memories with you like nothing else, I hold them dear to my heart constantly.  Thank you for giving me that and for teaching us all what it means to make a difference.  You just need to show someone that you care.  This past week we were overwhelmed with all the people that showed our family that they care.  YOU made a difference, more than you could have even imagined while you were here on earth.  But you live on with us...next week, a ribbon-cutting for Cindy's Place at Springdale.  What a year this is going to be-I'll keep you posted :)

1 comment: